BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — The commissioning of USS Little Rock will take place on Saturday, December 16.
The Canalside event will officially mark the ship’s entrance into the U.S. Navy fleet.
“I was delighted to receive word from Commander Todd Peters, Commander of the future USS Little Rock LCS 9, that the ship’s commissioning will officially take place on 16 December 2017 at Canalside in Buffalo,” Maurice L. Naylon III, chairman of the Commissioning Committee, said.
The ship is expected to arrive in Buffalo on December 8 for a week-long celebration.
If you registered for tickets, they will be sent to you two to three weeks prior to the commissioning date. A ticket and a government-issued photo ID are needed to enter the commissioning site.
Here is a schedule of events:
- Friday, December 8 at Noon – LCS 9 and crew arrive at Canalside, escorted by the Edward Cotter Fireboat.
- Saturday, December 9 at 2 p.m. – Army Navy Game Watch Party hosted at Buffalo RiverWorks.
- Tuesday, December 12 – Katharine Pratt Horton Buffalo Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution hosts Gold Star Mothers Luncheon at noon.
- Friday evening, December 15 – Commissioning Committee Chairman’s Reception and Gala at the Hyatt.
- Saturday, December 16 at 11 a.m. – Commissioning Ceremony takes place at Canalside. The ceremony will be followed by a reception for all attending the ceremony. The reception will feature chicken wings, pizza, beef on weck and more.