Fire starts in Falconer High School basement

FALCONER, N.Y. (WIVB) — Crews responded to a fire at Falconer High School early Thursday morning.

The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s office says a fire alarm went off at the school around 1:30 a.m.

A number of fire departments responded and dealt with heavy smoke inside the school once they arrived.

Crews located the fire in the custodian work shop area, which was in the school’s basement.

The fire, which was contained to a plastic garbage can, was quickly extinguished. Officials say the fire was accidentally caused by the “spontaneous combustion of mineral oil saturated cotton rags.”

The building was not damaged by the fire.

Falconer Central School District was delayed by two hours on Thursday morning.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s